In 2019, the Northern Arizona Council of Governments (NACOG) was awarded a $600,000 Brownfield Assessment grant from the US Environmental Protection Agency to transform underutilized properties from liabilities into assets that revitalize our communities and bring neighborhoods back to life.
The grant is managed by NACOG with assistance from an environmental consulting team led by Stantec Consulting Services Inc. (Stantec).
WHO: Community members and property owners are needed to nominate properties with redevelopment potential.
WHAT: Revitalize vacant and under utilized ("brownfield") properties to provide benefits to the community, including job creation, increased property values, environmental restoration, and reduced health risks.
HOW: Funding will be used to inventory and prioritize brownfield sites for redevelopment, assess existing site conditions, and plan for cleanup and reuse of priority sites throughout our communities.
WHEN: October 2019 - September 2022
WHERE: The grant will be used to assess selected properties located initially in the cities of Flagstaff, Winslow, the Town of Camp Verde, Coconino County and Yavapai County.
- Prioritize use of grant funds on property that will attract investors and become a catalyst for new employment opportunities and a sustainable job base.
- Promote infill development that maximizes use of existing space, infrastructure and utilities.
- Remove redevelopment barriers by addressing unknown site conditions and creating shovel-ready sites.
- Invest in sites that will generate public and private revenue.
- Transform blighted areas into thriving neighborhoods.
- Protect public health and the environment.
- Promote public participation and input on priority redevelopment areas and sites.
To Nominate A Property
To nominate a property for a FREE assessment, the owner just needs to follow the four simple steps listed below:
- Step 1: Complete a Site Nomination Form CLICK HERE TO GET FORM
- Step 2: Submit the form to Chris Fetzer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Step 3: Have the EPA or Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) approve the site's eligibility
- Step 4: Sign access agreement with NACOG and have the consultant start the assessment!
|April 2021 Newsletter||View/Download|